- RT @VirginiaNOW: @MarkWarner @MarkWarnerVA Stop Ignoring #women co-sponsor bi-partisan #SJRES15 2 remove #RatifyERA deadline! 202-224-2023… 11 hours ago
- RT @SandraFluke: Deplorable that we're back at this point over a year later! All male House panel legislating limits on women's health.http… 13 hours ago
- Full Moon blessings! 13 hours ago
- RT @politicalwire: Rep. Louis Gohmert says a woman should have carried a brain dead fetus to term "just in case" politicalwire.com/archives/2013/… 18 hours ago
- Breakfast @ The Algonquin, late lunch @ B. Smith's. I love @Amtrak 18 hours ago
- Au revoir NYC. Thanks for spectacular @nycballet experience. Firebird wonderful on so many levels. 21 hours ago
- RT @omega_institute: "Matter is spirit moving slowly enough to be seen." -Pierre Teilhard de Chardin bit.ly/ZBRseZ http://t.co/TmA… 21 hours ago
- RT @Politics_Prose: "Don't criticize what you don't understand." - Bob Dylan (born today in 1941 in Duluth, Minnesota) 21 hours ago
Tag Archives: Ballet
I could watch this ballet a hundred times and still want to see it a hundred times more.
— Nat. Gallery of Art (@ngadc) May 7, 2013
I am the old women on the folding chairs. I am the young maidens, watching and longing for their turn. I am the young women with strong backs, making the maypole glad.
I AM the wind which breathes upon the sea,
I am the wave of the ocean,
I am the murmur of the billows,
I am the ox of the seven combats,
I am the vulture upon the rocks,
I am a beam of the sun,
I am the fairest of plants,
I am a wild boar in valour,
I am a salmon in the water,
I am a lake in the plain,
I am a word of science,
I am the point of the lance in battle,
I am the God who creates the fire in the head.
Who is it who throws light into the meeting on the mountain?
Who announces the ages of the moon?
Who teaches the place where couches the sun?
I am the stag of seven tines;
I am the wide flood on the plain;
I am the wind across deep waters.
I am the sun’s bright tear;
I am the hawk descending from the cliff;
I am the beauty of the flowers.
I am the battle-keening spear;
I am the red-tusked boar;
I am the roaring raging sea.
I am the sea’s seventh wave;
I am the salmon in the pool;
I am the mountain full of poetry.
I am the god who sets the brain afire with swirling smoke.
To whom but I are known the whispers of the unhewn stone?
~ Author unknown
Here’s Maria Tallchief in one of her lesser-known, but, IMHO, best performances:
We won’t see her classical, perfect form again any time soon, I’m afraid.
May the Goddess Guard Her. May She Find Her Way to the Summerlands. May Her Friends & Family Know Peace.
Maria Tallchief has danced off into the Summerlands. She was one of the most amazing ballerinas of the Twentieth Century.