“And so the Shortest Day came and the year died
And everywhere down the centuries of the snow-white world
Came people singing, dancing,
To drive the dark away.
They lighted candles in the winter trees;
They hung their homes with evergreen;
They burned beseeching fires all night long
To keep the year alive.
And when the new year’s sunshine blazed awake
They shouted, revelling.
Through all the frosty ages you can hear them
Echoing behind us – listen!
All the long echoes, sing the same delight,
This Shortest Day,
As promise wakens in the sleeping land:
They carol, feast, give thanks,
And dearly love their friends,
And hope for peace.
And now so do we, here, now,
This year and every year.”
- RT @peterdaou: Hypocrisy is GOP pundits lecturing about patriotism after they surrendered to Russia, stole a SCOTUS seat, and coddled neo-N… 17 minutes ago
- RT @BillMoyers: Can you name the location of the two most deadly US mass shootings of 2017? bit.ly/2fGyK8k 17 minutes ago
- RT @ChrisCuomo: Before you say "so what if they use private email" remember how Trump criticized same with Clinton twitter.com/maggienyt/stat… 1 hour ago
- RT @ProudResister: Trump: Hillary's Emails GOP: Hillary's Emails Fox News: Hillary's Emails Wikileaks: Hillary's Emails KARMA: Jared Ku… 1 hour ago
- RT @samswey: Last year, half the country seemed pretty convinced this was a jailable offense. twitter.com/reddy/status/9… 1 hour ago
- RT @BreeNewsome: Did being a multimillionaire prevent LeBron James from having n***er painted on his door? Or Michael Bennett from being br… 1 hour ago
- RT @joanwalsh: Watching @HillaryClinton talk to @JoyAnnReid--the whole interview; I've only seen clips--and If you didn't vote for her, hid… 1 hour ago
- RT @grossdm: More US citizens live in Puerto Rico than live in the Dakotas, Vermont, Wyoming, and Alaska combined. I don't see Congress lif… 2 hours ago