They’re not just a cool feminist punk band from Baltimore.
With their vigilante, forced-birth bullshit, Texas has declared all-out war on women.
(Yes, I know: pregnant people. Because of course trans men and non-binary people can – and do – get pregnant. I’m neither stupid nor ignorant. However, rigorously insisting on talking about pregnant people in abortion politics just obscures what’s really driving the pro-forced-birthers. It’s not concern for babies, and it’s not sticking it to trans people – it’s MISOGYNY. Something experienced by WOMEN.)
And Texas is just a little out ahead of a pack that includes most of the old Confederacy (have I ever mentioned that racism and sexism often go hand-in-hand?) and large chunks of the Midwest – the Washington Post has a very clear graphic that clearly lays out the disaster that lies in wait for millions of women across the US when Roe falls.
Because, despite the DOJ doing what is in their power to do, Roe is going to fall. They have the numbers on SCOTUS and, as many, many of us warned LOUDLY and REPEATEDLY in 2016, that’s it. Game over.
I know Hecate just wrote about this, but:
- If you think you want more kids but not now, and you’re pre-menopausal, get long-acting birth control.
- If you’re done having kids and you’re pre-menopausal, get sterilized.
- Purchase Plan B and condoms and store them according to package directions.
- Do the research NOW on pharmacies outside the US that will discretely ship mifepristone and misoprostal to women across the border, no questions asked.
- Make sure your passport is current in case you need to get to Canada or Mexico to get healthcare.
- Relatedly, if you have the means, donate to abortion funds – these help women in wannabe-Gilead states who need abortions travel to places where they can get them. (They also help poor women in women-friendly states afford abortions – thanks a lot Hyde amendment. Everybody wins!)
- Donate to Planned Parenthood, NARAL, and other groups that provide abortion care and advocate for women’s rights to bodily integrity and self-determination.
- Keep fighting to elect Democrats, particularly at the local and state levels. The GQP has been planning this since 1978. We’re going to have to have a similar level of dedication and focus to claw this back someday.
Do these NOW if you live in a Roe trigger law state. Do them soon even if you don’t.
And, I swear to the Goddess, if anyone EVER accuses me of being “hysterical” for giving priority to abortion rights EVER again, I am punching him right in his fat face.
One more, for your listening pleasure, and TURN IT ALL THE FUCKING WAY UP.
Like what you read? Follow me on Twitter @MrsWhatsit1.